Please attend the next planning board meeting, November 17th, Monday night, 8:30PM, RHS Student Center
The public will have the opportunity to continue questioning our planner Blais Brancheau on his recommendation of a Master Plan amendment for high density housing in and around our Central Business District in Ridgewood.
See below Blais’s report….
We believe it should be the mission of the Village Council to encourage development that promotes a healthy and vibrant downtown community while ensuring that Ridgewood remains a wonderful and exciting place to live, work, play and visit. In order to achieve this, our Village must go about planning in a comprehensive manner. Comprehensive planning typically encompasses a larger area, a broad range of topics and covers a long-term horizon. Comprehensive planning is strategic and visionary. Public participation is essential! Right now Ridgewood is undertaking piece-meal planning, not considering other issues (like parking, schools, services) and there seems to be zero vision. We deserve better.
Citizens for a Better Ridgewood…
- Favors economic growth for our downtown
- Favors new housing that is appropriate in scale
- Favors new housing designated for empty nesters and special needs residents, where there is an established need
- Favors new parking solutions that support commerce
- Favors more open space and athletic fields for our youth sports
1) Please read the Legal Report prepared by our Counsel that was submitted to the Planning Board in October 2013. The report outlines our concerns with altering our Master Plan to allow for higher density zoning.
2) Please read the Planning Report prepared by our Professional Planner that was presented to the Planning Board in March 2014 for a comprehensive review of the implications of allowing higher density zoning.
Mark your calendar!
Please attend the next Planning Board meeting!
When: Monday, November 17, 8:30PM
Where: RHS Student Center
Agenda: Public will continue to question Blais Brancheau on his recommendations for high density housing.
Please understand that…
• CBR, Inc. continues to attend Planning Board meetings with a lawyer and professional planner to encourage the PB to proceed cautiously with any high-density zoning changes.
• CBR, Inc. hopes that all of our efforts for the past 18 months will somehow influence our PB and that they will consider the long-term consequences when they create a new zone. We respect our PB members and have tried to present a calm and thoughtful perspective.
• CBR, Inc. has never tried to shut down development in our town. We recognize the importance of progress and realize that thoughtful development, guided by research and thorough studies, is essential in helping any community move forward.
• CBR, Inc. is wary of planning that is driven by stakeholders with little input from the community. As a result of the Village of Ridgewood Ordinance 3066, our villagers have little say in a process that is set up to benefit those who have the most money to hire the best lawyers, planners and experts.
• We would like to see this ordinance overturned by our new council. This will not shut down development, but instead will allow our PB and Council, not the stakeholders, to decide what is best for Ridgewood within a process where residents are given a voice.